Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Can It Get Any Worse?

And now for something not so funny.
I'm always excited to come home for Christmas break and this year I have an extra long one. My classes don't start until the last week of January and I am not doing anything during the three week January term. I have to present at a conference in Toronto on the 9th, but after that I am free for at least two weeks. Then I start my final semester of graduate school.
Despite the joy of a nearly six week break (I came home on Dec. 10th), this break has sucked. There has been a lot of pressure to make it a great holiday as it is my last one at home since I am getting married in October. The pressure sucks and there has been a lot of fighting. I have decided that I should just not talk because everything I say results in my being yelled at and I can't take it anymore. I also can't make anyone happy as I am trying to visit my fiance and stay with the family and I just wish there were two of me because then no one could complain.
What has made this one of the worst holidays ever, is the fact that yesterday morning, Mom called and told me she saw an obituary in the paper for one of my oldest friends. I have known Chris since kindergarten and he is now dead. His aunt got in touch with me and said he just got sick on the 23rd and died the 27th. He was in the hospital over Christmas and he died less than two weeks before his 24th birthday. I can't imagine how his family feels. Tonight is a gathering and my mom and I are going. She loved Chris too and is taking it hard. I will probably get to see some friends I haven't seen in a while, but this is not how it should be happening. Somehow I have to do work today, and I just can't make myself start. I should be having breakfast with Chris in a few weeks, not sending condolences to his family. The best always leave us too soon.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I lost one of my best friends in a tragic accident when we were 25. The lost promise of all his life could've been is what hurts the most. I feel for you. Take some time to grieve and remember him. My heart goes out to you.

Abbie said...

Thanks Sarah. I appreciate the thoughts and I'm sorry you had to go through it too.