Monday, February 23, 2009

My First Oscars

So this was the first year that I sat through the entire Oscar ceremony and I have to say that there were enough funny moments to make it worth it. I did mute it often as I didn't really care about the acceptance speeches and the million commercial breaks. I think I watched a total of about 45 minutes, but they were some great 45 minutes. I can't say much about previous broadcasts, but I really liked how they used previous winners to introduce the big categories. I also liked the montages about the various genres and the films from the past year. So below are some of my comments from watching the Oscars.
  • Angelina's 180 carats of emeralds looked like $5 worth of costume jewelry.
  • Ben Stiller's Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic. Look it up.
  • I had no idea Anne Hathaway had theater training and I was surprised at how good she is at singing.
  • Hugh Jackman singing and dancing.
  • James Franco and Seth Rogen with the comedy montage=brilliant. His comment about turning the award into a pipe cracked me up.
  • I cannot whistle and have great respect for Kate Winslet's dad, though I am sure that place has great acoustics that helped him.
  • Asymmetrical dresses are terrible despite what any fashion magazine tells you. (See Reese Witherspoon)
  • "I am Wolverine." Nice plug for his upcoming movie.

No comments: